New Digs

Well, these are the new digs. Hope you like it. I know I do. I like how much easier this makes maintaining this blog.

A lot of work went into customizing this template, as well as in making sure that the edits were in keeping with maintaining a consistent look. I may still do some more editing to the list of links at the right. Some of that has changed from the old template, in fact. Any redundancies I found were deleted. Old, invalid links sent to the Server in the Sky. And lots of new links were added, too. Browse them. You might be surprised at what you find.

If you're interested in viewing the old blog, as well as a couple of posts that were written before this template was made active, you can find them here: http://townshende-old.blogspot.com/. Very simple name change in the URL, as you can see. The one post in the old blog that you should definitely read, I think, is this one: Insatiable.

EDIT: It appears that there are a couple of problems with this template that I missed. One has to do with the space between posts on the same day. The other has to do with the space between posts on different days. I should be able to fix this, but it will take time to weed out where exactly the problem lies within this new template.

SECOND EDIT: It seems that the problems mentioned above are only "apparent" problems, and these problems stem from the line for each post where you see the labels assigned to a post, and the number of comments. If that small block of text runs more than one line, then problems are encountered. If the previous post is on a different day, then the date of the previous post overlaps the second line of links/comments, etc. If the previous post is on the same day, then the space between posts looks too cramped. That tells me that there is some sort of flaw with this template's code such that the space between posts (regardless of the day they were posted) becomes screwed up. This makes no sense to me. It strikes me as a gross oversight on the part of this template's designer. I'm sure it can be fixed, I just need to figure out how. It will very likely mean learning aspects of XML (extensible markup language) that I currently know nothing about.

THIRD EDIT: Have made some tweaks. Have a better idea now as to which numbers adjusts which settings. It's a bit annoying, though, that padding (spacing) adjustments above and below the day and date of posts also adjusts the same settings for the headers in my sidebars. Why would you make the settings the same for these items? That makes no sense to me. A little more time with this and I can probably figure out how to set this up so that adjusting one set of numbers adjusts the padding above and below the sidebar headers, and adjusting a different set of numbers adjusts the padding above and below the day and date for the posts (by that I mean the date stamp that marks a given set of posts as having been written on the same day; not the date-time stamp for an individual post).

Although the day and date stamp for this post is shown as "Saturday, October 31, 2009," this post was actually written and posted on "Sunday, November 1, 2009." This change was made so that I could get a better idea of the spacing between groups of entries posted on different dates, as well as the spacing between the day and date and the title of the most recent post on a given day. It strikes me that things are set up they way they are for ease of design, but it makes for a huge pain-in-the-ass when it comes to customizing the settings. I didn't care at all for the original settings, and I still don't care for what I've got now, but it's better than it was to begin with.

The numbers for every post's title look like this:

#content h3 {
font-size: 20px;
font-family: Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
font-weight: normal;
margin: 0 0 0 0;
padding: 25px 0px 2px 0px; /* original: 30px 0px 5px 0px */
}


I've bolded the set of numbers I've been changing. Padding has to do with the space around something. In this case, it has to do with any text in the content of the blog that is marked with the tag "h3." This tag is used in this particular template only for a blog post's title. The first number, 25px, says how much space is above the title (25 pixels). The third number, 2px, says how much space is below the title (2 pixels). The 2px controls the space between a blog post's title and that particular blog post's individual date-time stamp. The 25px controls the space between a blog post's title and the day and date above the title for the most recent blog post on a given day. That space is also controlled by the padding specifications for the day and date, which, in this case, look like this:

#content h2 {
font-size: 16px;
font-family: Georgia, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif;
font-weight: normal;
padding: 15px 0px 0px 0px; /* original (nothing): 0px 0px 0px 0px */
}


I added space where there was none (15px — which is above the day and date) because without that space, when the line at the end of each blog post had two lines of labels, the labels and the day and date overlapped one another, if that makes sense. If padding for the label/comments line is controlled seperately, then that would give me even greater control. I'll need to investigate, to see if I can't find out if that's true or not. I hope it is true, because that would end what is a rather big headache at the moment.

2 comment(s):

monstro said...
November 01, 2009 1:34 PM

Ooooh, this looks cool. Well done. :)

g d townshende said...
November 01, 2009 3:05 PM

Thanks. :D Hmmm. The comment section isn't working the way I had planned, either. This needs to be fixed, too.

Post a Comment