Story Ideas

Lately, when I wake up, I've found myself occupied with an idea and more often than not the idea is engrossing. Each time it has happened, I've tried to nurse the idea along, to develop it, and have also tried to recapture the thing about it that had me engrossed with it in the first place. Most of the time, I've failed in recapturing that feeling, but never has my interest in the idea waned. Instead, I get out of bed and, without speaking to anyone, head straight to my office where I sit down and write down the idea as completely as I am able. Once, I was able to write the idea down in just a couple of sentences. Today, however, it took nearly two pages, the idea was so complex.

One or two nights ago, something similar happened when I went to bed. Out of the blue an idea came to mind and, again, I lay in bed, letting the idea run its course, letting it develop, letting it engross me. The result of this was that I wrote down the opening paragraphs to a new story. It was about a page to a page-and-a-half's worth of prose.

I'm not sure what has prompted these things to happen, and I don't care. When these ideas come to me, I'm simply writing them down. I've created a file on my computer in which to store these ideas, and that's now where they reside, ready to be used when I decide I want to pick one of them up again and play with them.

6 comment(s):

monstro said...
November 30, 2009 2:23 PM

Writing down ideas, even if they seem a bit silly or useless or unconnected to anything else, can be a great thing. :) You never know what's going to come out of them eventually! :)

g d townshende said...
November 30, 2009 11:32 PM

Writing down ideas is extremely important. To trust one's memory is to lose one's ideas. Ideas must be stored in some fashion, in a folder on a computer, in a shoebox on a piece of paper. You never know when they will be useful, or how. :D

gypsyharper said...
December 18, 2009 2:03 PM

I have a folder on my computer called "compost" after a chapter in Natalie Goldbergs book "Writing Down the Bones" where I keep my ideas. Of course, I think I also have a lot of random scraps of paper floating around my house that need to be captured and organized. Sometimes I find that ideas I thought were completely unconnected when I thought of them actually fit together!

g d townshende said...
December 18, 2009 5:07 PM

Yeah, that's always cool when that happens, Leslie. :D It's always very interesting to see the results of the right-brain at work.

Anonymous said...
December 01, 2012 3:25 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
December 07, 2012 6:26 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment