WIR #—: Magazines

WD0910I'm behind on reading the magazines to which I subscribe. I've never made a habit of including the scans of the magazine covers in my "What I'm Reading" sidebar, and I'm not about to start. However, I do like to log what I am reading. Today, I finished reading the September 2009 issue of Writer's Digest, so I've now moved on to reading the October issue.

The September issue featured several articles which focused on writing memoirs. I try to read all the articles, whether they focus on what I prefer to write or not. I figure I can learn from everything. The October issue, however, looks very promising as it features five different articles on fiction writing. It covers writers' forums, and also an article on different writing communities. Specifically, that latter item covers the Mystery Writers of America, the Romance Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, Christian Writers Guild, and, my favourite, the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America.

weird_tales_351-125I'm also behind on my reading of Weird Tales magazine. To that end, I'm now reading the Sept/Oct 2008 issue. This copy puts international authors in their spotlight. Namely, Zoran Živković, Sara Genge, Nir Yaniv, Rochita Loenen-Ruiz, Juraj Červeňák, chiles samaniego (I guess this gent doesn't like his name written using caps; shades of andrew j. offutt strikes again :P ), and Alistair Rennie. I look forward to reading it.

The editor of the magazine changed a few issues ago. George H. Scithers is now Editor Emeritus, but the person I'd have to please to have anything published in Weird Tales now is Ann VanderMeer.

On a different note, I've experienced a sudden change in my schedule here at home. It's a good thing, actually. I've always been a late night writer, or I suppose it's better to say an early morning writer, and that has not changed. It used to be that I'd go to bed early and wake up mid-day. I'm now keeping more "traditional" hours, kinda sorta. I'm now finding myself in bed by 9p or 10p (yes, you read that correctly), and I'm waking up at 4a or 5a. Last night, for example, I went to bed at about 10p, and I woke up at 4.30–5.00a. I immediately went into my office, sat down, and started working on "The Limnades," my current writing project. In the midst of that, I took a break and fixed myself some breakfast. Three hours after I got up, I was done, having written 1499 words. Then I finished up a chapter in Damon Knight's Creating Short Fiction and went on to finish the September 2009 issue of Writer's Digest.

A little later, I watched some tennis — the finals in the Masters 1000 series in Paris, to be specific. Novak Djokovic of Serbia defeated Gael Monfils of France.

And now I'm blogging. In a minute, I'll go downstairs and have lunch. Then I'll put some time into my job search, read some more, watch a movie perhaps, and then to bed. Exciting, isn't it?

What amazes me, though, is that this schedule is working for me, and it's working very well. Although I'm writing as soon as I wake up, instead of late at night, before going to bed, I'm still writing at a time of the day that I've always enjoyed writing, in the dead of night when many are still sleeping. Many may be on their way to work, or getting ready for work at 5a, but that's their loss. :P

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment