George H. Scithers, 1929-2010

I learned just a few moments ago that George H. Scithers, the man from whom I received my very first handwritten rejections, died on April 19. Per the web site for Weird Tales, where he was Editor Emeritus:

George passed away today at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland, from complications following a heart attack suffered the morning of April 17. He was 80. He had been in declining health for the last few years, due to complications from diabetes and a heart condition.

He will be greatly missed in the world of speculative fiction.

2 comment(s):

Heather said...
April 20, 2010 11:42 AM

I remember you speaking of him a few times. He obviously touched your life and the lives of many other writers. RIP.

g d townshende said...
April 20, 2010 2:39 PM

Thanks, Heddy. All I ever received from George were handwritten rejections. So, my stories were never very far off the mark for him. I've read several how-to books he either wrote, edited, or published, not to mention magazines that he's edited over the years.

Ann Vandermeer is the current editor of Weird Tales, and I've yet to send her a story.

Post a Comment